Charles Adams Gallery opened in November 1985 at 2109 Broadway in Lubbock, TX. In 1997, the gallery moved to the Kingsgate Center on 82nd and Quaker Avenue. In 2010, the gallery moved to 602 Avenue J in the new Arts District.
A Lubbock native, Charles Adams moved to Manhattan in 1969 and opened an art gallery at 363 Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village. The gallery was sold in 1980 when Charles Adams moved back to Lubbock.
In conjunction with moving to the Arts District, Mr. Adams founded the Charles Adams Studio Project. The studio project, CASP, is a non profit 501(c)(3). The mission of CASP is to cluster artists in the Arts District by building and maintaining studio space for working artists. To date, CASP has started an ARTIST-IN-RESEDENCY program by building four live/work studios at 1010 Mac Davis Lane. CASP has remodeled the old city police garage at 5th Street and Avenue J into cooperative working studios containing the HELLEN DEVITT JONES PRINT STUDIO, the CH FOUNDATION METALS STUDIO AND FOUNDRY, and the 5&J GALLERY that hosts monthly art shows. CASP has opened the SATELLITE GALLERY, a downtown art gallery for the Texas Tech School of Art that is housed in the police garage. The CASP Print and Metals Studios are available for public use and offer classes and workshops for both beginners and professional artists. CASP has built four WORK STUDIOS at 402 Ave J and is ready to build a second four Work Studios at that same location. There are future CASP projects that have not been anounced at this time.